Due to the size and the momentum of a commercial truck or semi, truck accident injuries are often quite severe where there is a collision with a small car, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian, or a moped. Truck accident injuries are devastating and demand long recovery times (especially in the cases of spinal cord injuries, head, or back injuries). The cost of medical attention to such injuries is quite frightening and can run anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 or more. It is advisable to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer who is qualified to help you in a truck accident claim since these cases can be quite complicated and require due diligence. An injured victim may not have to time nor the ability to handle such a claim alone, especially while dealing with injuries which certainly take a toll on them and their family.
Truck accident injuries are severe and claim processing can be complex and therefore it may require an experienced and qualified truck accident personal injury lawyer to win a fair and just compensation for medical expenses and damages. It may not be enough to have just a settlement and it may need an experienced trial lawyer to file for damages.
What to do if you are in a truck accident (please remember that you health and well being and that of those involved in the accident is the most important thing before all else).
1) Contact emergency services to make sure all the people in the accident received medical attention, if they need any. Sometimes you and others may be in shock and you may not be aware that you are physically injured, and it may be necessary for you to be taken to the emergency room for examination.
2) Wait for the police authorities to arrive at the scene of the accident, and make sure you ask for a police report or find out how you can get one later when you need it.
3) Get the insurance AND registration information of the other party to the accident. Do not contact the insurance company just yet. There will be time for that later when you are more prepared and have had time to relax after the shock of an accident. And finally,
4) Get the name and telephone number and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, if you can. Later when you contact a personal injury attorney to represent you, witness information would be very useful and also essential to make sure that the other party does not change the facts of the accident and now you will be sued for compensation.
5) Contact a Personal Injuries Lawyer for an FREE initial consultation to discuss the various aspects of the accident and protect your rights.
Truck accident injuries are not just severe but also an experience that is hard to deal with emotionally, especially if your vehicle was a small car or a motorcycle. We recommend that our clients who were victims of a truck accident negligence to get the services of a professional chiropractor as well as a psychologist or counselor to deal with the stressful emotional trauma while dealing with the physical injuries. We believe this is in the best interest of our clients and an important aspect of their complete healing process.
This is one of the most asked questions in a truck accident case and personal injury lawyers have somewhat vast differences of opinion on both case merit and compensation amounts. Only an experienced, professional personal injury lawyer can evaluate the entire case and give you an indication of how much your case is worth and what are the chances of collecting full compensation.
Often the insurance company representing the liable party will make you an out-of-court settlement offer, and you can be assured (almost 100% of times) that this offer is lower than what you may be able to obtain with an experienced attorney to back you and protect your rights. The strategy that most insurance companies use, is that they will force you with a ‘very’ limited time, ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer. Their strategy is to establish how desperate you may be (especially when medical bills are piling up) and if they can get away with a low payment offer. An experienced, professional personal injury attorney can, in most cases, convince the insurance company to settle out-of-court, quickly, and expeditiously by reminding the insurance company that an out-of-court settlement is to their benefit because they insurance company would avoid expensive and time-consuming preparations for court as well as court proceedings, and the fact that the insurance company can avoid bad publicity and exposure for multiple lawsuits by other parties or in the future.
We work hard to protect your rights and get you the maximum compensation you deserve.